The Mechanical Electrical and Plumbing Estimator’s key responsibilities include supporting Project teams in developing and maintaining detailed budgets for MEP and low-voltage specialties both in the Preconstruction and the Construction Phases. These budgets are typically produced at key design milestones and are maintained continually throughout the design process. At all steps, the MEP Estimator will employ constructability and value engineering methods to assist the team in maintaining budget and making design decisions. In construction the responsibilities include reviewing and evaluating Trade Partner Change Order Requests. Outside the project team, the MEP Estimator will establish and maintain Project specific cost data, as well as develop historical cost data and information on emerging design trends for the entire company. MEP Estimator may have a primary background in Electrical or Mechanical Systems only.
General Business Knowledge
The Mechanical Electrical and Plumbing Estimator is expected to have the following sets of knowledge and abilities:
- An understanding of design and construction processes and related time frames.
- Analyze and evaluate for completeness and applicability of a Request for Proposal, Basis of Design, Bridging Documents, etc.
- Evaluate and compare design issuances from Conceptual, to schematic, to design development through construction phase
- Evaluate Trade Partner proposals and make a recommendation based on best value.
- Familiarity with specialty trade estimating standards and techniques.
- Knowledge of MEP design approaches and concepts.
- Comprehensive knowledge of MEP systems and components.
- General familiarity with California Codes and regulatory requirements (title-24).
- General Familiarity with Plan Check Procedures and time frames
- Administer MEP Trade preconstruction contracts.
- Collaboration with other trade estimators and our Trade Partners to develop a complete project cost.
- Leverage their knowledge base and experience to collect and analyze cost data, identify options, provide recommendations and solutions to budget and design issues as they arise.
- Identifies project needs and presents/recommends these problem resolutions to the team.
- Performs research and analyzes the design data and quantity take offs related to MEP Systems
- Provide expertise to ensure alignment between an established Basis of Design, construction standards, material standards, Code requirements and schedule.
- Assist the design team with designing technical solutions to accommodate design development or other client needs within the budget constraints.
- Proactively and continuously seek to identify new approaches to their work, and to improve by developing better, faster, more innovative and efficient ways to complete activities and tasks.
- Participate in review and evaluation of new software, tools and technology.
Specific Tasks and Duties
- Produce complete cost estimates based on Project Documents.
- Coordinate scope of work with other trade estimators to eliminate “scope-gap”
- Fill in missing components using parametric data, conceptual budgeting rules of thumb and data utilizing historical data and input from our Trade Partners.
- Establish baseline for MEP estimates, identifying and comparing key project metrics.
- Maintain and track MEP budgets from concept through Construction documentation, including cost updates incrementally during design development.
- Assemble and maintain MEPF Cost Databases at line item or component level
- Maintain MEPF Cost Database for project level for various Building types.
- Perform constructability and code compliance reviews.
- Lead value-engineering efforts for MEP Trades. Make recommendations and perform evaluations of value engineering items.
- Prepare notice to bidders with specific bid instructions, defining scope of work, construction support and other project requirements.
- Organize and lead subcontractor proposal review meetings and interviews.
- Collaborate with Project management teams in the trade buyout process
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Electrical or Mechanical), Construction Management, Architecture or other related discipline.
- PE license is a plus.
- 5-10+ years of total professional experience in related roles on mid-size to large projects.
- 3-4 years of specialized estimating in one or more of MEPF trades
- Revit or AutoCAD, Bluebeam and MS Excel capability.
- Engineering Design experience is a plus.
- Field experience is a plus.